Hmm, looks like I–and almost every news outlet in existence–might have spoken too soon. Mubarak: “I am an Arab warrior, not a community organizer.”
If Mubarak’s refusal to simply step aside is hopeful for the stability of Egypt, it paints a pretty bleak picture of not only our press corpse (typo intended) but our government that everyone seems to be caugh off-guard by this.
And that’ll teach me to cite fishwrap like the Associated Press. Of course, Mubarak may well be forced from power still, or may leave in September as he’s announced he will, but he’s not rolling over just yet.
- Rumored Mubarak Resignation Triggers Media Buzz (pamil-visions.net)
- Mubarak may go tonight, but what will Egypt’s military do with the power? (shortformblog.com)
- Carter’s Protege (returnofbenjamin.wordpress.com)
- Liveblog: Mubarak Addresses Egypt (news.firedoglake.com)
- Mubarak pledges to stay until September (jta.org)